Attorney Adam R. Mehr is an entertainment industry veteran who joined McCathern in 2020 as a Partner in our Los Angeles office and the leader of the firm’s Media & Entertainment law practice. Adam’s clients range from independent production companies to major motion picture studios, focusing on all aspects of the financing, development, production, acquisition, licensing, distribution and other uses of content across multiple platforms including film, television, video games, music, publishing, online, and new media. In addition, Adam assists clients with corporate guidance, business planning, celebrity branding, and talent representation.
Adam has deep experience in the entertainment industry. He spent 9 years as the Head of Business Affairs & General Counsel for Gold Circle Films, an independent producer, financier and distributor of motion pictures. While there, Adam oversaw the company’s worldwide business, legal and financial affairs, as well as corporate, labor and employment matters. Adam continues to represent Gold Circle to this day and in his 17 total years working with the company has negotiated bank loans, equity investments, completion guarantees and domestic and international distribution agreements and served as production counsel on over 30 films. Adam has negotiated many of the company’s high-profile deals, including a multi-million-dollar revolving credit facility and worldwide music publishing and secondary rights deals.
Prior to Gold Circle, Adam worked at two studios – New Line and Warner Bros. – and on the Warner Bros. lot for producer Hunt Lowry’s production and sales agency company Gaylord/Pandora Films. Adam began his legal career working for the late Jon Furie at Montana Artists.
Adam is a 1996 graduate of Loyola Law School, where he was a member of the International Law Journal. Prior to law school, he earned a B.A. from Occidental College, where he graduated cum laude as a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Tau Delta honor societies.
- Negotiated multi-party international co-productions and complex sale and leaseback transactions for a US independent production company.
- Negotiated multi-million-dollar revolving credit facility and multiple Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) funds (UK) on behalf of independent motion picture production company.
- Consulted for cutting edge transmedia company in structuring split rights deals with major studios; advised and drafted private placement memorandum for transmedia company seeking capital raise.
- Supervised film-related and general corporate audits and motion picture-related tax rebate programs, and worldwide enforcement and collection efforts, for independent production company.
- Handled all aspects of financing for box-office hits Pitch Perfect 1 and 2.
- Negotiated and drafted composer, music producer, music supervisor, and music license agreements, as well as soundtrack album deals, on over 100 films.
- Negotiated worldwide publishing and secondary rights collection system to monetize an independent production company’s music publishing and secondary rights assets, resulting in more than $1m in revenue.
- Served as counsel on over 50 films including Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Pleasantville, Rush Hour, White Oleander, Pitch Perfect, Because I Said So, Boogie Nights, Frequency, The Lord of the Rings, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.
- Negotiated single picture loan facilities, a revolving credit facility and ultimates-based loan facility for independent production company.
- Advised a mini-major studio on complex chain of title issues with respect to remake rights.
- Panelist, Money Talks: Getting Real Film Finance, 2016 Catalina Film Festival, Avalon, California (September 2016)
- Panelist, Creating and Exploiting Content in a Transmedia, Multi-Platform Environment, 2015 PBS Annual Conference, Austin, Texas (May 2015)