Ronald Wright is a managing partner of McCathern’s Houston office. Mr. Wright practices in the areas of banking, corporate services, real estate transactions, restaurant and hospitality (with particular experience in food services), retail electricity, and oil and gas. He regularly advises clients regarding general business and corporate governance matters.
He is experienced in handling complex transactional matters involving mergers & acquisitions, contract negotiation and drafting, corporate governance formalities, finance, and succession planning. Applying a “deal maker” philosophy, Mr. Wright works with his clients to navigate the challenges and risks of negotiating and closing a deal while ensuring his client is well informed and adequately protected. He has also participated in litigation involving non-compete agreements, director liability, contract disputes, and oil & gas disputes.
Prior to joining McCathern, Mr. Wright co-founded the law firm Drinnon & Wright, PLLC in February, 2008, where he served as the firm’s administrative partner and headed the firm’s transaction division.
Mr. Wright received his Juris Doctor from Michigan State University School of Law, where he earned a certificate of concentration in corporate law and served as a member of the Moot Court and Advocacy Board. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of Texas at Austin.
Mr. Wright is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas and is a member of the Houston Bar Association and Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA). He was named by Super Lawyers as a Texas Super Lawyer in both 2020 and 2021, an honor received by less than 5% of attorneys. He is active in the community and regularly assists local charities. Mr. Wright was born and raised in Houston, Texas.
Awards and Associations
Select Cases and Transactions
- Analyzed and revised customer and broker contracts for large Retail Electric Provider (“REP”).
- Regularly negotiate and draft a wide array of vendor and acquisition agreements for Fortune 100 Food Distribution Company.
- Represented client in the sale of a mid-rise office building in Houston, Texas.
- Draft responses to PUCT complaints filed by commercial customers of REP.
- Reviewed and modified several franchise agreements for franchisee of a top 50 franchise.
- Represented client in its successful spin-off from a high-end furniture retailer.
- Represented client in the sale of an oil and gas training enterprise to a publicly traded entity.
- Served as corporate counsel to oil and gas exploration company during a corporate divorce.
- Analyzed employer reporting requirements of all fifty states and prepared a comprehensive report for a Professional Employer Organization.
- Drafted global lease agreement for high net-worth client to be used in the lease of cranes.
- Represented multi-million dollar office furniture reseller in obtaining HUB status.
- Represented client in the acquisition of a restaurant and a popular Houston night-club.
- Represented client in securing artwork collateral for monies advanced under a loan agreement.
- Represented client in preserving multi-million dollar real estate investment through prolonged negotiations with lending institution and business partner.
- Represented client in the implementation of national sweepstakes promotions.
- Represented client in the acquisition of a mid-rise office building in Houston, Texas.
- Advised client regarding the pitfalls and requirements of CERCLA in relation to the acquisition of commercial property in Montgomery County, Texas.
- Represented client in the acquisition and leverage of oil and gas assets in Texas.
- Negotiated a commercial tower lease for the owner of real property in Montgomery County, Texas.
- Negotiated revolving line of credit agreement for successful Houston auto dealership.