October 11, 2019 | By Matthew Kellogg
McCathern, PLLC is celebrating 21 years of practice this month and with it the continuation of a story that has seen the business grow into a full-practice firm with reach across the country and beyond. In its third decade of existence, McCathern’s attorneys and staff are building on a legacy of providing excellent legal services and building lasting partnerships, all while upholding our simple but lofty mission of Improving People’s Lives.
Founded on October 1, 1998, McCathern has seen tremendous change since it first opened for business. One thing that has not changed, however, is the persistent quality of the people at McCathern.
Elizabeth Criswell, paralegal for Founding Partner Levi McCathern and one of the most tenured employees of the firm, reflected on this fact, saying, “We’ve always looked at the firm as more of a family than a group of employees. It’s one of the greatest things about our firm, and it really sets us apart from so many others. We care about our clients, and we care about each other.”
“It has been an honor to work with so many great attorneys and staff members over the last 21 years,” she continued. “In this age of instant everything, it’s rare for a firm to exist for over 20 years, much less grow and prosper as we have.”
In 2018, McCathern recognized its landmark 20th anniversary with a celebration at the firm’s office in Frisco, Texas at The Star. In the year that followed, the firm continued to build off earlier successes with another landmark year.
Among innumerable other achievements at McCathern over the past year:
- Partner Carl Evans, Jr. became a registered recipient of the Million Dollar Trial Lawyers Association™ Award.
- The L.A. office added intellectual property Partner Christopher Barkley.
- Founding Partner Levi McCathern led a team that representing a Waco, Texas girl in a high-profile victimization case.
- Managing Partner Arnold Shokouhi assisted a client in the acquisition of the first license to cultivate, manufacture and distribute cannabis in the European Union. The achievement exemplified McCathern’s expertise in the assisting clients navigate the global cannabis market.
- Former District Judge Scott J. Becker and renowned family law attorney Laura Roach joined the Frisco office, adding to one of the strongest legal teams in Collin County.
- Partner Isaac Villarreal and attorney Eric Utermohlen of the Houston office were named to the Top 50 Plaintiff’s Jury Verdicts for Texas in 2018.
- Attorney Brett Chisum of the Dallas office was named Partner.
- Numerous attorneys were named to esteemed lists and rankings, including those of Super Lawyers, D Magazine, Houstonia Magazine, Marquis Who’s Who and others.
- Numerous attorneys spoke at important industry and community events, sharing the knowledge and expertise that has made McCathern the consistent and reliable source of legal and business assistance that it is today.